Bridal Beauty Tips
by Top Bridal Makeup Artist Ashley Fierro
When it comes to bridal beauty, there’s one piece of advice that I give to every bride, no matter what season or style she has chosen for her wedding: You should look like you…just a more famous version of you! This is my personal twist on the “you but better” bridal beauty mantra that has, thankfully, replaced some of the more over-the-top makeup techniques of the past. But with an overwhelming number of brands, products and colours to choose from, how can you decide which makeup is right for your own unique look? Nobody wants wedding day acne – what can you do if it happens to you? Before you invest time and money into the search for the Holy Grail of wedding day makeup, I’ll let you in on some of my beauty secrets!
My team and I create the makeup looks for over 100 brides each year – that means we’ve seen it all when it comes to skin tones, hair and eye colours, features, and flaws and have learned which beauty products are the best of the best for weddings. Read on to learn the steps of a timeless bridal beauty look and discover which tried-and-true colours and formulas are always in our kits. Try these pro picks out yourself for any occasion that calls for classic, long-lasting makeup, from an engagement photo session or bridal shower to your rehearsal dinner and the wedding.
Wedding Day Acne? How to Prep and Correct
Skin is everything! Flaunt your natural glow or fake your way to a complexion that’s clear, healthy and flawless.
- Prep Skin: Use Dermaflage on clean skin to fill in any indented imperfections, including acne scars, pockmarks, piercings, and enlarged pores. Unlike traditional camouflage makeup, this liquid silicone filler temporarily “lifts” the sunken areas to create a smooth, even surface – a perfect solution for any wedding day acne breakouts.
- Moisturize; colour-correct discolouration, blemishes, and under eye dark circles; and prime the skin to ensure your foundation is smooth and long-lasting.
- Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentrè (24 Hour Miracle Cream) is a cult-status moisturizer-primer hybrid and a must-have for countless makeup artists.
- Stila One Step Correct Skin Tone Correcting and Brightening Serum evens out your skin tone with 3 colour-correcting pigments swirled in a nourishing serum.
- It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Full Coverage Anti-Aging Waterproof Concealer covers dark circles and other discolourations.
- Create a polished and pore-less canvas with an HD foundation that looks ultra-natural in all types of lighting.
- A combination of MGOFS Correcting Concealer and MGOFS Foundational Powder Mineral Makeup looks like perfection yet feels feather-light on skin. You can conceal wedding day acne and avoid the unnatural pancake look.
- Create a naturally lit-from-within bridal glow with a subtle bronzer, blush, and highlight.
- Benefit Hoola Matte Bronzer applied with Contour Blush 34 Brush by Senna gives skin a natural warmth without a hint of orange.
- MAC Blush in Melba, a matte coral-peach, and Senna’s Cheeky Blush 1 Palette are an artist’s favorite for creating a healthy-looking flush. Senna’s Airbrush Blender 29 Brush makes blending a breeze.
- BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Highlighter in Opal adds a soft pearl-champagne radiance to cheekbones, brow bones, and above the cupid’s bow. Baby Face 21 Brush by Senna ensures your glow looks ethereal instead of obvious.
Bright, Wide-Open, Sparkling Eyes
No one has to know that you only got two hours of sleep! Soft, neutral eye makeup leaves you looking rested and rejuvenated.
- Line the upper lash line – or both the upper and lower, if you prefer — with a subtle waterproof liner. Smith 205 Angled Liner Brush helps create a perfect line.
- Benefit They’re Real Push-Up Liner in Black is a fool-proof gel liner pen that creates a perfect line and won’t budge once it’s dry.
- Use subtle shades of brown and champagne eye shadows for an elegant bridal look that enhances every eye colour.
- MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot Eye Primer in Soft Ochre makes any eye makeup smooth, crease-free and long-lasting.
- Stila Eye Shadow in Kitten is a best-selling warm beige shimmer that glows without looking glittery. Smith S175 Eye Contour Brush is ideal for adding depth to the crease.
- Cozzette Infinite Eye Shadow in Bliss amps up the look with a golden-crystal finish.
- Add a natural but flirty and fluffy lash to create definition in photos and fake a wide-eyed and wide-awake look.
- Maybelline Great Lash is a classic that lives up to its hype – make sure to use the waterproof version for all your special events!
- The Smith 214 Spoolie Brush can be used to brush through brows or lashes to finish your eye look.
Long-Lasting, Glossy Lip
Soft, full lips with a low-key shine are always in style and are the finishing touch to a fresh, healthy, chic bridal look.
- Prep lips. Before applying lip colour, gently exfoliate your lips with a lip scrub or a soft washcloth so you have a smooth, flake-free starting surface.
- Layer for lasting power. Give your lip colour a smudge-proof boost with a waterproof or long-wear lip liner in a natural pink shade. Apply it all over the lips.
- MAC Lip Pencil Liner in Soar is a mid-tone pinkish brown that coordinates well with many shades of pink, peach, and nude lipstick.
- Finish with lipstick or gloss. Brides need a lip colour that won’t smear through all of the kissing, smiling and sipping they will be doing. A smart solution is to choose a nude-pink gloss in a long-lasting formula so that if your lip colour does wear off, it won’t be as noticeable as a red or dark lip colour wearing off in patches or smearing. Layer your gloss or sheen lipstick on top of the lip pencil base.
- MAC Lip Glass Gloss in Please Me is a timeless muted-rose-pink that doesn’t look too cool-toned or bright in photos.
Now you know the beauty secrets the pros use to create a flawless look, even if you have scars or other imperfections you’d like to hide. Wedding day acne can be put to rest and you can get on with your big day. With these simple steps and must-have products, you’re all set to create a makeup look that lets your natural bridal beauty shine through.